Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Australian Open : Rafael <> Roger - the Rivalry


What else could be the greatest rivalry in Tennis other than Rafael Nadal, the world no 1 meeting Roger Federer, the world no 2. Just a year back the numbers were the other way. I'm not actualy a crazy fan of Tennis and used to watch it rarely (main reason being dont get it telecasted in cable). It was after I came to US in 2008 that I happen to watch Wimbeldon, US Open and now Australian open 2009.



I remember watching wimbeldon 2008, Federed was No 1 while Nadal was No 2. Nadal won the first 2 sets. I wanted Federer to win the next 2 set but wished Nadal won the match. Just as I wished it happened. This time in Australian open I wanted Federed to punch back and get the 14th grand slam to equal Sampras record. The match was very interesting and went on up to 5 sets but unfortunately Federer couldnt make it.



I dint expect Federer to cry in the presentation. It was very hard to see. This shows however big you are, however rich you are, finally you are a human. I have read that "Success is counted sweetest by those who HAVENT achieved it". Federer would have felt that one. If it is difficult to reach to the top it is even more difficult to maintain that. But im pretty sure, Federer is going to break Sampres record, what a class player. And Nadal would break Federer record quickly with his athletic game.



But my man of Australian open 2009 is the 14th rank Fernando Verdasco, what a fight he gave with Nadal in the semi-finals. This being his first semi-final in a grand slam, he never looked liked playing against world no 1. He almost gave a threat to Nadal and would have infact won him if he had not done few errors in the last. With a score of 7-6(4), 4-6, 6-7(2), 7-6(1), 4-6 and a final time of 5 hours and 14 minutes, their match was the longest in Australian Open history. He had an amazing serve, style, power and stamina. He looked smart as well.

For more photos, check out http://www.tennis.com/players/playerphotos.aspx?player_name=Fernando%20Verdasco&offset=0



Being Indian, how can I miss the Mixed doubles winners Mahesh Bhupathi, Sania Mirza. If not in singles atleast in doubles, India name has been appearing quite often. Bhupathi did come to the finals in doubles as well but lost it. Among the Junior boys, Yuki bambri of India won the finals. So thats a good news that youngsters are coming up. Lets see whats the future.




I'm eagerly waiting for my baby next month... its one of the dream to make him/her as a tennis player....

1 comment:

Karthik said...

Talk about tennis rivalry, there are quite a few I remember from the days I started following tennis (late 80's). Ivan Lendl Vs Mats Wilander, Boris Becker Vs Stephan Edberg, then Pete Sampras ruled the roost for long time to come. Now it's official, Federer Vs Nadal, and it's here to stay. Federer is my man for his perfect technique and game. Nadal is raw stamina. What's common among these 2 tennis greats is their ability to create impossible angles and play every point like it's a match-winner. Hope to see Federer breaking all records !

Making of KAN - Kathai Alla Nijam (Short Film)

Four years back on the same day, I uploaded the short film KAN - Kathai Alla Nijam. I have made a video on the "Making of KAN". If...