Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Second Hand


Seetha & Geetha are sisters with seetha being the elder one by 2 years. That always gave her an advantage of being first preference for their parents. Moreover they being cost conscious never got Geetha new text books instead she used her sister's books as second hand. The same was repeated for some of the toys, pencil, pen and other things right from childhood.

Seetha used to give some of her clothes to Geetha if it became small for her to wear including the school uniform. Knowing their family situation Geetha took it positive initially, but as years passed by this feeling of "Second hand" started growing in her as a hate. Though Geetha didnt show it out to Seetha, she was very concerned about it and refused any used thing that was given to her.

Both studied in the same school, college and finished the same degree B.Sc Nutrition. It was time for Seetha to get married and her parents were seriously looking out. Geetha had a odd feeling about that second hand, she was worried what if she gets her husband also as second hand which she never wanted to happen. So she also hurried to get married. She had liked a guy who studied with her in the same college but different course (BSc ComputerScience). She decided to propose him and if things worked out she wanted to inform her parents. Just as she thought the guy also accepted and Geetha told her parents with all the guts she had. Her Dad who is against Love Marriage strictly apposed it but as days went by he finally agreed. Meanwhile they had fixed an alliance for Seetha too. So they decided to arrange both the marriage at the same time. Everything went smooth and both of them got married on the same day.

Geetha was very happy that she got married on the same day as her sister and at an earlier age than her. On the first night, excited but nervous Geetha entered the room. Her husband Kumar said "I want to say you something" and even before he could finish, Geetha also said "What a coincidence, I also wanted to say you something....". He asked her to tell first and then Geetha told how she felt about being "Second Hand" in many things. She ended up saying that she was glad to get him. Then she asked him "You wanted to say something...". Kumar was like... "I...I... I wanted to tell you.. you ...that" he paused for few seconds. Geetha "tell me what ???". Kumar continued "That I LOVE YOU" and gave her a big hug. Now Geetha was reaaaaaaaaally happy as if she was waiting for this moment in her whole life.

As they were huging, Kumar thought to himself "Thank God, I dint tell her that Seetha & I were lovers in college"

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice story!!!

By any means is this a flash back of ur Story ???

Cheers,
Sridhar

USHA said...

Hi Sanjay,

"SECOND HAND" is short and sweet.In few sentences it protraited our family.Even my dad doesn't encourage love marriages,then when you mentioned the feeelings of Geetha about having her sister's things as second hand.....

Even few times i felt as being second daughter, i use to get my sister's book, clothes etc...in childhood days i feel some times , but not to the level of Geetha character in your story...

Nice short stories..Keep up.

Anonymous said...

sura blub geethaviku

sanjayan said...

@Sridhar
Not exactly. Here is the making of the script : One day as i was driving i happen to see myself on the glass of an auto which was going forward. I noticed the shirt and it was looking amazing but it reminded me that it was my younger brothers. Im one lucky guy who can use both my elder and younger brothers dress he he. But in a way it did remind me of the second hand books and stuffs during my child hood. Thats when the title "Second Hand" came into picture. By the time i reached office i made up a story out of it. It was the climax that i got immediately after which i stretched the story a bit.

sanjayan said...

@USHA
Hi Anni, Thanks for your comments. Almost every brother, sister will have this thought and so you and I are not exception :). But i dint have you in my mind when i wrote this. It is coincidence that the name Geetha is same as your sister.

sanjayan said...

@Vatsan
Vatsa... ssh!!! Dont let Geetha know about it, she still doesnt know and so she is happy :)

Karthik said...

Hey man,

I had heard this story before, so knew it all. Good one though, I liked the end. Fortunately I am the elder one at home, and have a younger sister, so there is very little we could share, so never felt much of a "second hand mood", nevertheless a good writing.

sanjayan said...

@Karthik
Ya dude, its the same story which i told you earlier. But dint find time to post it. What about your blog.. have you started writing?

jayakarthik said...

hey sanjay
good story, i liked it, well i never had the feeling of second hand coz i dont have any sister n i m the last one at home, i have two elder brothers, lucky me. but still i know the feeling of it. ana life full ah ipidi second hand ahh irukaradhu sari illa pa pavam geetha

Uma said...

Hai Sanjay,
I never came across those circumstances in my life.If it would have happen in my life,i dont know what i would have done.

Eventhough its a short-story it triggers the feelings from the depth of my heart...and makes the reader to realise the human mentality of hating SECOND HANDS.

I have read ur anni's blog its very nice.Convey my Regards to her,Bcoz only u have send me so i cant able to comment a post to akka.

SECOND HAND is a Short and Cute story..My Best Wishes for 'U' to continue to write a Big Script in Future..

Ponnarasi Kothandaraman said...

Katha twist the way it was narrated ellam ok! But i dont like the whole concept or the way it has been ended.. It might happen practically but i didnt wanna this story 2 end this way!

Good narration though! :)

sanjayan said...

@Jayakarthik
Thanks for your comments. Geetha wont know it for ever, do not worry.

sanjayan said...

@Uma
With your wishes i will definetly keep writing more :) Will convey your wishes to anni also and there is no issue, you can directly comment

sanjayan said...

@Ponnarasi
Glad that you told exactly what you felt. I agree that from Geetha's point of view it is little hard. But i liked that part of twist. Thanks for your comments on the narration part.

Anonymous said...

Macha

i really liked the ending da...i guessed that the guy will also be a second hand at the point where the guy wanted to tell something to her....i like climaxes like this....which gives u a feel for a while even after getting out of the place....but i really feel pity for Geetha..
My question here is ...what wud be ur script if i wish that Geetha comes to know that even her husband is a second hand of her sister's..tell me..??
Anyway i havent felt a thought about second hand...in my life as we both(my brother and me) would get anything only as two and not as one..

Keep going with stories like this...

what is the source of this story?

Quater

Anonymous said...

Macha nice one da...

Keep it up..
i like endings like this....which make u feel...for a moment..
but what wud be ur script if i wish that Geetha comes to know even her husband is a second hand of her sister's.....????

Quater

Common Man said...

nice short story , keep writing.

Unknown said...

Anna, I liked it very much.. The way u narrated things in the story was perfect..

Till end, it was interesting... Good work anna.... But i feel paavam for Geetha....

Making of KAN - Kathai Alla Nijam (Short Film)

Four years back on the same day, I uploaded the short film KAN - Kathai Alla Nijam. I have made a video on the "Making of KAN". If...